Championship roundup: QPR keeper scores last-gasp leveller at Sunderland | Championship

the QPR goalkeeper Seny Dieng scored a stoppage-time equalizer to force a 2-2 draw at Sunderland in the Championship.

Dieng headed home deep into time added on to complete a remarkable comeback by Michael Beale’s team. Sunderland were 2-0 up and coasting towards a win after first-half goals from Ross Stewart and Ellis Simms. But Elias Chair got Rangers back in it in the 87th minute and five minutes later Chair’s cross was incredibly converted by Dieng, who then made an incredible stop at the other end.

“At half-time we had honest words, told them to live more dangerously, we played on the front foot and Ilias scores a great goal,” said Beale. “I thought the moment had gone but Seny had other plans. It was a great goal followed by a great save. When Seny went up an assistant said: ‘Are you happy?’ I said I am not going to bring him back. When the goalkeeper goes up, who picks him up, he attacks both balls in. A crazy game.”

Rotherham enjoyed a stellar afternoon as they hammered Reading 4-0 at the New York Stadium. The Millers blew Paul Ince’s side away in the first half, racing into a 3-0 lead after only 18 minutes and adding a fourth before the break. Reading’s goalkeeper Joe Lumley had an afternoon to forget. After Richard Wood headed the hosts in front, Lumley allowed Conor Washington to score from an acute angle, before letting a weak Jamie Lindsay shot through his hands from him. Chiedozie Ogbene piled on the misery for Lumley, beating the keeper to the ball and finishing into an empty net.

“All that going forward didn’t please me as much as our defending,” said the Rotherham manager Paul Warne. “Generally speaking we defended really well. I thought we deserved to win but maybe not by four goals – but I’m not complaining.”

Millwall came from two goals down to beat Coventry 3-2. The Sky Blues were in dreamland after just 28 minutes as Kyle McFadzean and Matty Godden put them 2-0 up. Jake Cooper’s goal before half-time proved pivotal as it gave the Lions something to cling on to and they quickly leveled after the restart through George Honeyman. Gustavo Hamer was sent off for Coventry and then George Saville’s 85th-minute goal won it for the hosts.

Meanwhile, Coventry have had a second Championship game postponed due to the condition of their pitch, with Tuesday’s home match against Wigan called off by the EFL due to ongoing issues with the playing surface at the Coventry Building Society Arena. Last weekend, their opening home fixture against Rotherham was postponed, and the Carabao Cup tie with Bristol City was moved to Burton’s Pirelli Stadium.


League One roundup: Stanley’s wild comeback


Burton they were denied their first win of the season after a remarkable comeback from Accrington saw them draw 4-4 in an eight-goal thriller at the Crown Ground in League One.

A hat-trick from Davis Keillor-Dunn was not enough for the Brewers as Rosaire Longelo struck deep into stoppage time to rescue a point for Stanley. Keillor-Dunn scored two goals in the first half and one early in the second to give Burton a 3-0 lead, but Accrington continued to threaten with Joe Pritchard pulling one back minutes before Sean McConville added their second.

The Brewers thought they had managed to see out the game when Gassan Ahadme made it 4-2, but Josh Woods and Longelo scored late to steal a point.

Ipswich made it back-to-back wins to go top of the league with a 3-0 win against bottom side MK Don’s. They took an early lead through Wes Burns in the fifth minute and goals from Marcus Harness and Conor Chaplin saw the Tractor Boys go top on goal difference.

sheffield wednesday are behind them in a second, also on seven points, after Tyreeq Bakinson found a late goal to beat Charlton 1-0.

John Marquis scored the only goal as Bristol Rovers made it back-to-back wins with a 1-0 victory against Oxford to move up to third in the table.

peterborough dropped down into fourth after they were handed their first league defeat by Plymouth, who won 2-0. Finn Azaz put Plymouth ahead in the first half before Ryan Hardie scored from the penalty spot for the Pilgrims to move fifth.

cambridge left it late to come from behind to beat newly-promoted exeter 2-1. Jevani Brown put Exeter ahead just before half-time but Sam Smith leveled 15 minutes into the second half and Paul Digby found the winner for the U’s two minutes from time, heading home from close range.

Derby held on to beat Barnsley 2-1 and earn their second win of the season. The Rams took the lead through a Conor McCarthy own goal eight minutes in before Nathaniel Mendez-Laing doubled their lead with his first goal for the club.

Barnsley pulled one back after the break through Josh Benson but Derby managed to clinch maximum points.

Colby Bishop netted in each half to help portsmouth earn their first win of the season as they beat Cheltenham 2-0.

Shrewsbury also picked up their first win after a late penalty from Luke Leahy saw the Shrews win 2-1 against Wycombe.

The Chairboys took the lead through Garath McCleary six minutes after half-time but their lead was short-lived when Matthew Pennington equalized for the Shrews before Leahy added their second from the spot.

Fleetwood came from behind to snatch a point in a Lancashire derby clash against Morecambe, which finished 1-1. Arthur Gnahoua put the Shrimps ahead but Danny Andrew leveled just seven minutes from time, and the game ended with Paddy Lane being dismissed with a straight red card for a tackle on Shane McLoughlin.

Lincoln and Forest Green also drew after Connor Wickham scored on his Rovers debut to cancel out Baily Cargill’s own goal. Port Vale were unable to capitalize as they drew 0-0 with 10-man Bolton after Ricardo Almeida Santos was sent off 37 minutes in for his second bookable offence.

Thank you for your feedback.

Norwich are enduring a difficult start following relegation last season as they lost 2-1 at hull, who climbed to third. Óscar Estupiñán scored twice, once in either half, to extend the Tigers’ unbeaten start to the campaign, despite Marcelino Núñez’s consolation for the Canaries, who sit bottom after three games.

Dean Smith urged Norwich fans to stay calm following the defeat. “We’re giving ourselves tough things to come back from with silly mistakes, but I don’t think after three games there’s any cause to panic,” he said. “We should have won the game in the first 20 minutes – the chances we created and the players who they fell to.”

Óscar Estupiñán celebrates grabbing his second goal.
Óscar Estupiñán celebrates grabbing his second goal. Photograph: Richard Sellers/PA

Huddersfield earned their first points of the season by beating Stoke 3-1. Lee Nicholls’s penalty save from Lewis Baker in the first half provided pivotal as Yuta Nakayama headed the Terriers in front before the break. Baker made amends for his spot-kick miss as he leveled after the restart but late goals from Danny Ward and Jordan Rhodes gave Danny Schofield his first win as Terriers manager.

swansea got their first win of the campaign as they beat blackpool 1-0. After Andy Fisher saved Jerry Yates’s penalty early in the second half, Olivier Ntcham scored in the final 10 minutes to get the Swans up and running for the campaign.


League Two roundup: Orient maintain perfect start


Leyton Orient beat Mansfield 1-0 to maintain their 100% start to the new League Two season.

The Stags had the chance to take an early lead from the penalty spot after just two minutes, but Stephen McLaughlin saw his spot-kick saved. Orient broke the deadlock just after the hour through Charlie Kelman, which proved enough to secure a third straight win for Richie Wellens’ side.

Walsall are second after Danny Rose’s stoppage-time goal earned Stevenage a 1-1 draw at Banks’s Stadium. The Saddlers, who had also won their opening two league games, went ahead in the 13th minute through Danny Johnson. That looked to have been enough, only for substitute Rose to snatch an equalizer in the 10th minute of added time to leave Stevenage still unbeaten in fifth.

Salford are also on seven points after beating 10-man Crewe 3-0 with a brace from Brandon Thomas-Asante. Conor McAleny gave Salford a 17th-minute lead before the visitors saw striker Bassala Sambou shown a straight red card following a clash with Theo Vassell just after the half-hour. Salford made their advantage count as Thomas-Asante struck twice in the space of three minutes early in the second half to put the result beyond doubt.

Northampton picked up their second league win after beating hartlepool 2-1. Tyler Magloire headed the Cobblers in front after 31 minutes, with Josh Umerah nodding in Hartlepool’s equalizer in first-half stoppage time. Northampton, though, were back ahead just before the hour through midfielder Louis Appere.

barrow suffered a first league defeat after losing 1-0 at Suttonwhere substitute Tope Fadahunsi broke the deadlock with 11 minutes left.

bradford secured their first win by beating 10-man Newport 2-0. Richard Smallwood put City ahead in the seventh minute. In first-half stoppage time County had defender Declan Drysdale sent off for hauling down Harry Chapman who was through on goal and the Bradford midfielder struck a second goal in the 53rd minute.

At the other end of the table, Rochdale sit bottom following a third straight defeat as they were beaten 1-0 by Grimsby thanks to a stoppage-time header from Luke Waterfall.

Doncaster struck twice in the final three minutes to fight back and draw 2-2 at A.F.C. Wimbledon. Dons substitute Nathan Young-Coombes made an instant impact from the bench when he broke the deadlock in the 76th minute and then looked to have sealed the points when making it 2-0 with just six minutes to go. However, Rovers midfielder Tommy Rowe set up a tense finale with a 20-yard strike and defender Ro-Shaun Williams played in from a corner in the fifth minute of added time.

Carlisle and Swindon drew 1-1 at Brunton Park. Jacob Wakeling put the visitors ahead in the 22nd minute, but Kristian Dennis hauled Carlisle level just before the break.

A second-half header from Kyle Wootton gave Stockport 1-0 home win over Colchesterwhile harrogate and Crawley drew 0-0.

Tranmere saw off Gillingham 3-0 at Prenton Park. Elliott Nevitt put Rovers ahead in the 18th minute, with defender Ethan Bristow adding another midway through the second half. Josh Dacres-Cogley wrapped up the points when he scored Tranmere’s third with 15 minutes left.

Thank you for your feedback.

Cardiff manager Steve Morison said he was “pleased as punch” with his team’s performance as they dominated birmingham to win 1-0, with Aston Villa loanee Jaden Philogene scoring the only goal in 17 minutes. “We should have had a couple more,” he said, “but, on the whole, it was really pleasing … Anyone can beat anyone this year, I don’t think there’s going to be a Fulham, it’s going to be very tight so it’s about stringing results together and getting that consistency.”

Elsewhere, Brad Potts’s acrobatic finish was enough for Preston to beat Luton 1-0 while wigan and Bristol City drew 1-1.