Kyle Sandilands has confirmed rumors he’ll be reprising his role as a judge on the returning season of Australian Idol.
The 51-year-old shock jock made the announcement on the Kyle and Jackie O Show on Monday morning, despite getting a text from an unknown figure saying, “Don’t officially announce that you’re on it.”
The new father, who welcomed his first child Otto with fiance Tegan Kynaston last week, revealed he’s set to be the first judge attached to the show – which has been off-air for more than a decade and is finally returning to screens on Channel 7 in 2023.
And true to form, Sandilands said he only agreed to the gig if Seven bosses delivered his contract personally so he could sign the papers live on-air.
“I think this week they’re bringing the contract, I said I’ll only sign it on the radio show, so all the big head honchos have to march into the studio with the contract. I’ll sign it live on-air,” Sandilands said.
Sandilands also claimed he was heavily involved in recruitment for his three co-judges, while he ruled out Osher Gunsberg’s return as host due to his multiple Channel 10 hosting duties.
“They can’t sign on someone else unless I sign off on it… I’m not going to be doing the show with a bunch of knobs,” Sandilands said.
“I’ve got a long list of knobs I won’t work with. I’d like at least one other Australian, and I would love a big name US and a big name UK, but it all depends, everyone’s touring around … But there’s a lot of big stars interested.”
When pressed by Jackie whether any of the original judges would be returning, including Marsha Hines, Ian Dickson and Mark Holden, Sandilands said, “No, none of them.”
“I’m the only one who’s still alive, I feel the others have all passed away… I mean alive on TV,” he clarified.
Sandilands said the show would follow a similar format, which would see contestants audition around Australia before a top 12 is chosen for live shows.
As for whether he would soften his infamous brutal honesty, Sandilands said he’d be sticking to what he knows.
“I like The Voicebut I won’t be one of them wishy washedy Voice judges that say, ‘No matter how disgusting you are to look at, you’ve got a great voice.’
“I’m not interested in that sh*t. I can only be myself.”
At this point, Sandilands got a text advising him not to officially announce his role.
“Yeah, okay. Well, I haven’t signed on yet but I’ve verbally agreed,” he added.
australian idol aired for seven seasons on Channel 10 from 2003 until 2009, and made big stars of contestants including Guy Sebastian, Jessica Mauboy and Casey Donovan.
In 2020, the Seven Network announced at their annual upfronts that they would be reviving the series.