Sydney Swans break Collingwood streak to mount finals charge

Sydney Swans break Collingwood streak to mount finals charge

It was the Swans’ sixth successive victory. Another win over 10th-placed St Kilda at Marvel Stadium next Sunday would likely guarantee them a double chance and a final in Sydney depending on percentage.

Swans coach John Longmire was also delighted with his team’s defence.

“We were really sound defensively at the contest,” he said. “We gave up a couple of easy goals. But apart from that, I think we’re really, really strong with what we had to do at the contest and when we didn’t have the ball and that laid a good foundation for a pretty strong four-quarter effort.”

On a day when Josh Kennedy walked a farewell lap at half-time after announcing his retirement during the week, the Swans’ next-generation midfield of Callum Mills, James Rowbottom and Chad Warner combined with veteran Luke Parker to dominate possession.

Up forward for the Swans, Lance Franklin kicked three goals in a match dominated by defenses. Tom Papley and Isaac Heeney in his 150th game both kicked two. Papley has kicked at least two goals in each of the Swans’ last six games.

Collingwood were unable to cope with the Swans’ smothering defence, which kept the Magpies to just three goals until the 21-minute mark of the third quarter, when Darcy Cameron kicked his side’s fourth.

Papley responded for the Swans almost immediately, restoring a 33-point lead, but the Magpies once again showed their ability to respond in adversity.

Tom McCartin scuffles with Mason Cox as tensions bubble over.Credit:Getty

Late in the quarter, with the Swans seemingly having the game locked up, Collingwood kicked successive goals for the first time in the match thanks to Ash Johnson and Mason Cox.

The margin was reduced to 23 points at the last change and gave the Magpies hope, but the streak was short-lived.

Rowbottom continued an excellent game by snapping the first goal of the final term.

The Magpies were gallant but ineffective as they failed to find a reliable avenue to goal.

The sellout crowd’s biggest contribution was booing Collingwood’s controversial small forward Ginnivan for receiving a free kick for a high tackle, which had made the bottle blond such a talking point in recent weeks.

The free kick was entirely justified after a desperate second quarter tackle from the otherwise excellent Paddy McCartin coathangered Ginnivan, who kicked Collingwood’s only goal of the term.

The vocal crowd were already jumpy about a free kick count which was 10-5 to in favor of the Magpies.


De Goey suffered his hip problem at training on Friday but traveled Sydney before being ruled out on Sunday. He was replaced by Trent Bianco, with Callum Brown the medical substitute.

The Swans looked the better side for much of the day but didn’t always make the most of their opportunities.

It was fitting that rugby league markings were still obvious on the otherwise pristine SCG given the at times crowded nature of the game around the ball.

Tom and Paddy McCartin were strong for the Swans alongside Dane Rampe, who snuck forward to kick just the seventh goal of his long career.